A Yankee and a Southern Belle with very different writing styles
who bonded one day while tweeting.

Monday, March 11, 2013

The Charm of the Oldies

There's a standing joke at my  house: any movie in black and white is referred to as an "Amie movie". Why? Because I love all the Cary Grant, Doris Day, and Rock Hudson movies. Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, and the Tonys--Randall and Curtis--and of course, Marilyn Monroe. There is a certain charm in these films, an innocence and a standard that we don't have today. I'm not necessarily talking about the sex. Black and white films have their share of sexual innuendo. But any actual hanky panky had to be behind closed doors. No, I'm talking about the nothing-left-to-the-imagination scenes in today's movies. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it seems to me without 15 to 30 minutes of heavy petting, the movies of yesteryear had to rely on witty dialogue and well-dressed, well-coiffed glamorous stars in order to move the story forward.

Next time you have a minute sit down and watch His Girl Friday or Some Like It Hot. The dialogue is amazingly witty and zaps with humor and sarcasm. The clothes are fantastic, the actors talented, and the innocence charming.

Zinging humor and fun plots are just some of what I try to bring to my own novels. Of course to keep them up with today's time, I have to update the fashion and make the heroines a little more...liberated and the heroes a little less...gallant. And then pray like all get out that some of that old fashioned charm worked its way into my writing.

So when my husband sees an old film and immediately calls it an "Amie movie" I take it as a compliment.

Oh, and don't tell my mom, but I secretly have a crush on Gary Cooper. She thinks it's weird. LOL

(One last confession--I laughed until I had tears in my eyes when I searched for the picture of Tony Randall and Jack Lemmon in Some Like It Hot. And the shot of Cary Grant? It's from Arsenic and Old Lace. You know a movie is a classic when you see the image and know immediately what movie it's from.)

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Being the half of this duo that enjoys the heck out of those nothing-left-to-the-imagination scenes in today's movies and television, I bet you're surprised to learn I enjoy the classics, too? But I do agree with you, having your husband call them 'Amie movies' is definitely a compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would say something! LOL Maybe I'm just a teeny bit jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete